- Nebbiolo from the upper and central part of the Garretti vineyard in Grinzane Cavour, which is thought to be the best section of the cru
- 70-year-old vines south facing
- Alluvial soil atop calcareous clay at 280 meters above sea level
- Fermentation and maceration in rotofermenters for 14 days
- Aged for 24 months in French oak barriques (30% new, medium toast)
- Bottled unfined/unfiltered and aged an additional one year at the winery before release
In the spring of 2000, the Rivetti family acquired the 8ha Campè Vineyard, thus fulfilling one of Giorgio’s long-time dreams. The family took over this south-facing hillside from a producer who never had intentions of making a great wine. In fact, all of the grapes were being sold in bulk to other Barolo producers, and the yields were at the high end of the allowable range for the region. Through a rigorous green harvest, La Spinetta reduced the previous production by 75%, leaving just 25% of the fruit on the vine. The usage of chemicals in the vineyard was prohibited and instead fertilization was carried out utilizing horse manure and extensive manual work throughout the year. Today, the vineyard is full of healthy, strong vines that are approximately 70 years old and produce exceptionally low yields of extremely high-quality fruit. Campè is a true Cinderella story in Barolo!