Barbaresco 'Cotta', Sottimano
- 100% Nebbiolo
- From 40-60 year old vines planted to limestone and clay
- Fermentation and the maceration on the skins for about 40 days
- No selected yeasts used
- Natural malolactic fermentation in French barrels coopered expressively for Sottimano by Francois Frères in Burgundy
- Remains in the barrels for approximately 24 months, half of this time on its lees
- 10-15% new barrels used for aging, the remaining barrels have previously been used up to 4 times
- No filtering and no fining prior to bottling
- 650 cases produced
|SKU||Case Size||Bottle Size|
ResourcesRequest a shelf talker/case card
Press & Reviews
Blue flower, rose, camphor and baking spice aromas waft out of the glass. Juicy and delicious, the polished palate doles out juicy Marasca cherry, crushed raspberry and star anise alongside taut, fine-grained tannins. Drink 2022–2029.
The 2017 Barbaresco Cottà is punchy, with terrific freshness and verve. Red toned fruit, flowers, mint and bright acids yield a decidedly delicate expression of Cottà, a Neive vineyard where the wines tend to be quite a bit bigger and richer. The 2017 needs at least a few years in bottle to soften. It is an attractive wine if enjoyed on its own terms, but is also quite different stylistically from the wines Sottimano has made here in the past.
This beauty is redolent of stone fruit, coriander and mineral nuances, and will put every Italian Riesling and Gruner, which admittedly are not much to write home about, to shame. But it will do so with many world Sylvaner wines too. Drinking window: now-2030.