Barbaresco 'Basarin', Sottimano
- 100% Nebbiolo
- From the Basarin cru in Neive
- Vineyard sits atop a hillside that borders the zones of Neive and Treiso
- South-west facing exposure
- Fermentation with indigenous yeasts following an extended maceration on the skins for 40 days
- Wine ages sur lie for 24 months in French barriques, of which 10%-15% are new, with the remaining barrels having previously been used up to 4 times
- Bottled unfined and unfiltered
|SKU||Case Size||Bottle Size|
ResourcesRequest a shelf talker/case card
Press & Reviews
Focused and full bodied, this has aromas of underbrush, eucalyptus, crushed botanical herb and wild rose. The chiseled palate delivers tension, structure and finesse, featuring cranberry, pomegranate, licorice and tobacco framed in tightly wound, fine-grained tannins. Youthfully nervous acidity gives it balance and an ageworthy structure. Drink 2024–2036.
The 2016 Barbaresco Basarin is bold, rich and expansive on the palate, with striking depth and tons of textural resonance. The dark, spiced flavors are typical of Barbarescos from Neive. Creamy, silky and inviting, the Basarin offers tremendous near and medium term appeal. More importantly, the 2016 is several notches more interesting than the 2015.
The Sottimano family produce four Barbaresco single-vineyard wines - Basarin in Neive being a new addition from the 2014 vintage. The wines are aged in barriques, but the proportion of new oak has been severely reduced in recent years. This is no blockbuster, and the lean, precise raspberry nose shows elegance rather than power. A stylish wine, it's fresh and fluid with refined tannins and no overt extraction, showing charm and lift on the long finish.
Straightforward, perfumed, easygoing and very clean, this delivers the tell-tale aromatic nuances of the Kerner variety with precision. Drinking window: now-2023.