Sugar doesn’t have to be a dirty word in the world of cocktailing when you’re using well-made ingredients in proper proportion, and Skurnik represents a veritable rainbow of gorgeous liqueurs, aperitifs, digestifs, and fortified wines that can add intrigue to classic drinks.
- 1.5 oz Lustau Don Nuño Oloroso
- 1.5 oz Antica Torino Rosso Vermouth
- .25 oz Rapa Giovanni Cherry Liqueur
- 1 tsp Harleston Green Scotch
- 1 dash Orange Bitters
- 1 dash Celery Bitters
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass.
Stir with ice until cold.
Strain into a Nick & Nora and garnish with an orange peel.
Spicy Gold Rush
- 2 oz Deadwood Bourbon
- .5 oz Giffard Piment d’Espelette
- .5 oz Honey Syrup
- .75 oz Lemon Juice
- 1 dash Mole Bitters
Combine ingredients in a mixing tin.
Add ice and shake until cold.
Strain into a rocks glass over ice and garnish with a lemon wheel.
Vermouth di Torino Rosso, Antica Torino
- Sweet Vermouth inspired by the traditional recipes and ingredients of the Piedmont region
- Primary botanicals include wormwood, rhubarb, gentian, vanilla bean, rosemary, thyme, oregano, laurel leaves, & ginger
- Base wine is composed of Piedmontese white wines including Bombino, Trebbiano, Freisa, and a small percentage of Moscato, fortified with neutral wheat spirit
- Botanicals are steeped individually in the neutral grain spirit for 30–45 days, blended with wine and beet sugar, and rested in stainless steel tanks for 45–60 days before filtering and bottling
- Orange sherbet, fresh rosemary, and cola on the nose; juicy palate of orange & lime zest, vanilla, rhubarb root, and thyme with a lightly smoky, bitter finish
- 18% ABV
- This rosso vermouth is robust enough for classic cocktails such as Negronis and Manhattans but avoids a cloying finish, instead lending jeweled fruit tones balanced by stemmy herbs and bright bitterness
Liquore di Ciliegie, Cherry, Rapa Giovanni
- Black Cherry Liqueur representing one of the oldest liqueur styles of the Piedmont region
- Base spirit distilled from molasses
- Juice from select black cherries, sugar, and a small amount of dry red wine are added to the base spirit
- This mixture rests for 48 hours before filtering and bottling
- A dark and luscious cherry liqueur full of cooked Bing cherry and baking spice, reminiscent of cherry soda with a level of acidity perfect for versatile mixing.
- 30% ABV
Straight Bourbon Whiskey, ‘Deadwood’, Proof and Wood
- American straight bourbon whiskey distilled in Indiana (MGP) and blended and bottled in Bardstown, KY, by Proof and Wood
- Mash bill of 75% corn, 21% rye, and 4% barley
- Aged a minimum 2 years in 53-gallon barrels
- Blended in small batches of approximately 20 barrels
- Date and nutmeg on the nose with a palate of bosc pear, light vanilla and lingering caramel
- 40.5% ABV
- Described by Proof and Wood as an “American Table Whiskey” this is an affordable, workhorse bourbon that doesn’t compromise on flavor
Piment d’Espelette (Chili Pepper), Giffard
- Produced in Angers, France, by Giffard, established in 1885 and currently run by the fifth generation of the Giffard family
- Piment d’Espelette is a red chile pepper grown only in the Basque region of France; it is the only French spice with APO/DPO recognition, limited to ten villages in the southeast of France
- Whole, fresh Espelette peppers are macerated for four weeks in distillate made from sugar beets combined with a hint of aged rhum agricole from Martinique
- An herbaceous nose kicks into assertive chili spice on a warming mid-palate complemented by hints of vanilla, cinnamon, and anise; a lingering intensity slowly tapers to subtle notes of hot cocoa punctuated with sharp grassiness
- At 40% ABV, this versatile mixing liqueur can be used incrementally to introduce varying levels of spice and complexity to variety of cocktails and is an intuitive replacement for triple sec or curaçao in spicy variations on Margaritas and other sours