Over the past decade we have seen the production and distribution of whiskies from all over the world expand in quality, quantity, and provenance. From the craft producer to the contract distiller to the independent bottler, the category seems limitless with consumer demand to match. But enjoying these spirits doesn’t have to be overwhelming with a few timeless recipes in the rolodex.
- 1.5 oz Iwai 45 Blended Japanese Whisky
- 4 oz Club Soda
Add ice and whisky to a highball.
Top with club soda and stir lightly to incorporate.
Garnish with a lemon wheel.
- 1.5 oz Pinhook ‘Hard Rye Guy’
- .75 oz Volume Primo Vermouth
- .75 oz Caffo Red Bitter
In a mixing glass, combine ingredients.
Add ice and stir until cold.
Strain into a coupe and garnish with an orange twist.
- Blended Japanese Whisky produced at Mars Shinshu in Nagano
- Blend of 70% corn and 30% malted barley
- Aged between 2–5 years in ex-bourbon barrels
- A nose of chocolate-covered shortbread precedes a palate of brown sugar and ripe pear with confident structure; a whisper of red fruit appears on the finish.
- 45% ABV
- Mars Shinshu’s blue-labeled Iwai (pronounced E-Y) is kicked up to 45% ABV for further cocktailing versatility. Iwai 45 garnered the #19 spot on Whisky Advocate’s list of Top 20 Whiskies of 2020.
- Pinhook’s 2021 flagship rye
- Distilled at Castle & Key Distillery in Frankfort, KY; blended by Pinhook Co-Founder and Master Blender, Sean Josephs
- Mash bill of 60% rye, 20% malted barley, and 20% corn
- Aged a minimum of 2 years
- All non-GMO and locally sourced grains; proofed with ground-fed, limestone-filtered spring water
- A nose brimming with apricot, cinnamon, and eucalyptus with a rich palate of candied licorice, caramel, and orange peel
- Non-chill filtered; 49% ABV
- Won Gold at the 2021 San Francisco Spirits Competition
- Mediterranean-style vermouth developed at celebrated Verona cocktail den, Archivio, for use in house cocktails
- Produced at the historic Antica Distilleria Quaglia in Castenuovo Don Bosco, Piedmonte, by the modern vermouth master, Federico Ricatto
- Blend of 95% Moscato d’Asti and 5% Grillo Siciliano
- In addition to the classic bittering elements of wormwood & gentian, made with a list of botanicals including fresh thyme, sage, knapwood, chamomile, & licorice root
- Extremely versatile in cocktails
- 18% ABV