Thank you to all who could join us for the live discussion!
Below you will find our ‘Walk the Talk’ seminar in its entirety, where Julia addressed issues of diversity, equity, and inclusivity in our industry by defining what these terms actually mean and providing specific examples of mis-steps that point to bias.
She answers all of our questions patiently and candidly, provides practical advice, and broadens our perspective of what it means to be an ally.
ABOUT JULIA CONEY
Julia Coney is a D.C. & Houston-based wine writer, wine educator, speaker, and consultant. Her writing includes stories on wine, winemakers, and the intersection of race, wine, and language.
Julia is the recipient of the Wine Enthusiast’s 2020 Social Visionary Award for her work in writing and speaking on diversity, equity, and inclusion in the wine industry, and is the founder of Black Wine Processionals, whose goal is to lift up and provide opportunities for the multifaceted Black professionals in the world of wine.
If you have interest in learning more about our guest speaker or diving further in to the subject at hand, here are some helpful links:
GET TO KNOW JULIA:
- Black Wine Professionals
- Social Visionary Award Wine Enthusiast
- What Being an Ally Really Means SevenFifty Daily
- The Many Hues of Wine Talent JancisRobinson.com
- The Wine Industry is Overwhelmingly White. Now, the Push for Inclusivity is Gaining Momentum The Washington Post
- “It’s Like Mansplaining, But For Race”: What The Wine Industry Can Learn About Black Consumers Forbes
SUGGESTED ANTI-RACISM RESOURCES
- I’m Judging You Luvvie Ajayi
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism Robin DiAngelo