Up to the late 19th century, the members of the Roque family had carried on the tradition of distilling from father to son. Louis Roque, the third of his generation, decided in 1905 to become independent by settling in Souillac, in the site of an ancient convent. Louis became the local specialist of plum brandy. He started to distill for his own business from plums supplied by local farmers. He kept his production into oaks cask where the spirit aged slowly, under close supervision. In his multiple chais located in different parts of the town, he dedicated his time to the maturing and meticulous blending, while his house, right in the heart of Souillac, was used as a shop. Louis soon became very well known for this sublime spirit.