Valpolicella Superiore 'Le Mattoline'
Valpolicella Superiore 'Le Mattoline', Gini
- Blend of 60% Corvina, 25% Corvinone, 10% Rondinella, and 5% Oseleta
- “Le Mattoline” translates to “little crazy birds”
- Organic vineyards located at 400 – 600 meters above sea level
- The soil is calcareous clay along with outcroppings of volcanic stones
- Hand harvested at the end of September, and part of which is then dried for 3-4 weeks
- The wine is aged in large Slavonian oak casks for two years before resting in stainless steel for an additional year prior to being bottled unfiltered
- 800 cases were produced of the 2013
Press & Reviews
"Wild cherry and pomegranate fruit flavors are accented by hints of eucalyptus, orange peel, anise and mineral in this well-meshed, medium-bodied red. Chalky tannins firm the lingering, spiced finish. Drink now through 2023. 800 cases made, 300 cases imported."
"From the bouquet alone, you’d think that the 2013 Le Mattoline was an Amarone, not a Valpolicella Superiore. Here I find masses of medicinal cherries, cloves, licorice and potpourri. However, on the palate, this leans more toward the savory spectrum, coming across as remarkably pure and energetic, with tart wild berries and spices saturating yet then refreshed by nervous acidity. There’s a cheek-puckering feel through the finale, as notes of cranberry and sour citrus resonate beneath an air of violet florals."