Hazelnut, Hans Reisetbauer
- Hazelnut spirit produced by Hans Reisetbauer in Axberg, Austria
- Distilled from a base of twice pot distilled, organic, estate-grown Mulan winter wheat
- Piedmontese hazelnuts are harvested in September and October, roasted twice, skinned, and macerated in the neutral wheat spirit for 4–6 weeks
- Maceration distilled a third time in Christian Carl copper pot still
- Rested for a minimum of 3 years in stainless steel
- Aromas of hazelnut skin, cacao, and faint Cadbury cream egg and orange zest; the dry, oily palate displays pure hazelnut through and through to the bright, clean finish
- 40% ABV
It takes 3 kg (nearly 7 lbs) of hazelnuts to produce a single liter of Hans Reisetbauer Hazelnut. Though not technically an eau-de-vie because it is a maceration rather than a pure distillate, Hans has captured the purest, most complete spectrum of hazelnut flavor.
This hazelnut spirit is produced by Hans Reisetbauer in Axberg, Austria from the finest hazelnuts sourced from the Piedmont region. This bottling is not technically an eau-de-vie; the base of this rich spirit is estate-grown Mulan winter wheat, as hazelnuts do not have the sugar content needed for fermentation. The hazelnuts are harvested in September and October, roasted twice, skinned, and macerated in the twice-distilled neutral base spirit for 4–6 weeks. The resulting maceration is distilled once more in a Christian Carl copper pot still and rested 3 years in stainless steel, yielding an opulent, sweet-and-savory aroma, with a deceptively dry finish. It takes 3 kg of hazelnuts to produce one liter of eau-de-vie. Aromas of hazelnut skin, cacao, and faint Cadbury cream egg and orange zest. The dry, oily palate displays pure hazelnut through and through to the bright, clean finish. 40% ABV.