Whisky, 'Mars Maltage, Cosmo - Manzanilla Cask 2021'
Whisky, 'Mars Maltage, Cosmo - Manzanilla Cask 2021', Mars Distillery
- Limited-edition blended pure malt Japanese whisky from Mars Shinshu in Nagano, Japan
- Vatting of whiskies distilled from 100% malted barley; a blend of whisky from a non-disclosed source and whisky distilled at Mars Shinshu
- Blended, finished, proofed, and bottled at Mars Shinshu
- Non-age statement; aged primarily in ex-bourbon barrels and finished in ex-Manzanilla sherry casks
- A nose of red apple skin, chocolate malt, crème caramel, and raisin leads to a floral and dry palate with a lightly salty edge that leans into a finish of clove complemented by baked apples and currants
- Non-chill filtered; 42% ABV
The original Mars Maltage Cosmo debuted at the Tokyo International Bar Show in 2015, a blend of 100% malted barley distillates that helped establish Mars’ talent for blending and finishing at a time when few Japanese distilleries transparently addressed taking the traditional Scottish approach to vatting; subsequent vintages continue the same methods while featuring varying finishing casks. The name is a nod to nearby Mt. Kosumo, a peak in Japan’s Central Alps, the mountain range that so often inspires the whiskies of Mars Shinshu!
Spirit Sub Type:
Blended / Blended Malt