Valtellina Superiore Riserva Sassella 'Ultimi Raggi'
- 100% Chiavennasca (Nebbiolo) sourced from the highest point in the Sassella subplot
- 600 meters elevation
- South/southwestern exposure
- The grapes were harvested November 13
- Maceration for 58 days in 50-hectoliter wooden vats
- Aged 39 months in cask
- Refined three years in bottle
- Alcohol 13.5%
- 500 cases produced
- First Vintage 1988
Press & Reviews
"A throwback to when Sforzato could be made with grapes dried directly on the vine. Bunches grown at 600 metres are harvested just before the first snowfall - on 13 November in 2013. This is charismatic and delightfully confounding in its timeless, weightless quality. Gorgeous pressed flowers, juniper and potting soil punctuate dried fruit notes. Depth and concentration are rivalled by vigour and juiciness, while layers of tactile, clayey tannins meld with a gravelly mouthfeel. Blood orange rings out on the finish. The first vintage produced since 2009."