Taurasi 'Cinque Querce'
Taurasi 'Cinque Querce', Salvatore Molettieri
- 100% Aglianico from the province of Montemarano in Avellino
- Average age of the vines: 18-22 years
- 480-510m above sea level
- Calcareous clay soil
- Maceration on the skins for 15-20 days in steel tanks
- Aged in combination 30, 50, and 80-hectolitre oak casks and French oak barriques for 48 months
- Following time in wood, additional six months in bottle
Intense ruby red, tending to garnet with age. Aromas of dried plum, sour cherry, cocoa, and tobacco. The palate is rich and intense with smooth tannins and a long finish.
Press & Reviews
"Elegant and toned, the 2008 Taurasi Vigna Cinque Querce is a true gentleman among the unruly group of personalities that make up the Taurasi appellation. This is a standout expression that delivers an enormous sense of balance that is difficult to achieve with a grape that puts so much emphasis on tannins and structure. You get firmness at the back, but Cinque Querce is also supple and smooth in texture. The wine shows great length and purity. If you love Aglianico, don't miss this wine. "
"Molettieri's 2007 Taurasi Vigna 5 Querce is a big, big wine. Mocha, espresso, game, tar, licorice and dark raspberries meld together in an unusually ripe, flashy Taurasi. The 2007 boasts tons of richness and sheer power, but it needs at least another year to settle down and incorporate its oak. Unlike most Molettieri Taurasis, the 2007 should drink well with minium cellaring."