Hooghoudt Distillers / DeBorgen
Genever, 'Old Style'
Genever, 'Old Style', DeBorgen
- Genever distilled at Hooghoudt Distillery in the northern Netherlands, designed to reflect the category’s style of the 17th and 18th centuries; lighter in body that that of the 16th century.
- Distilled on a copper pot still.
- Botanicals include juniper berry, hops, gentian root, chamomile, and blessed thistle (bittering agent used as a digestive aid since the Middle Ages).
- Blend of 78% neutral grain spirit (distilled from wheat) and 22% malt spirit (distilled from equal parts wheat, rye, and corn). A portion of the malt spirit has been aged 17 years in ex-Oloroso sherry casks.
- A breakfast-nook nose of cooked, steel-cut oats, clover honey, dried apricots, and sea salt carries to the palate, sharpening slightly with notes of bitter greens and a finish of fresh ginger.
- 40% ABV
This compellingly structured spirit offers the perfect bridge between the historic genever style and leaner botanical distillates.
Spirit Sub Type:
Aged / Other