Hooghoudt Distillers / DeBorgen
Genever, 'Malt', DeBorgen
- Genever distilled at Hooghoudt Distillery in the northern Netherlands, designed to reflect the category’s original, full-bodied style that was developed in the 16th century.
- Distilled on a copper pot still.
- Botanicals include juniper berry, caraway seed, fennel, star anise, angelica root, and sweet woodruff (perennial herb with hay-like aroma and earthy flavor).
- Blend of 57% malt spirit (equal parts wheat, rye, and corn) and 43% neutral grain distillate (distilled from wheat). The final blend is aged in ex-Oloroso sherry casks for 6 months before bottling.
- A husky nose of fermenting grains, wet sawdust, and leather transitions to coriander, black pepper, and wheat hull on the palate. The finish tapers to a lean mouthfeel expressing brown sugar, coffee grains, and a hint of cream.
- 40% ABV
Employing the highest percentage of malt within DeBorgen’s core lineup, fans of unpeated, world whiskies will love the robust yet refined character of this genever.
Gin / Genever
Spirit Sub Type:
Aged / Other