Chardonnay ‘Horseshoe Vineyard’, Rhys Vineyards
– All estate fruit from Horseshoe Vineyard in the Santa Cruz Mountains
– Wente, Hyde and Mt Eden clones
– Monterey shale soils
– 1,450 – 1,500 ft. in elevation on a South facing slope
– Fermented in 20% new oak for about a year until dry, no racking or battonage
– Aged in tank for an additional 4-6 months before bottling
Planted in 2004 with a total of 17.5 acres, Horseshoe Ranch is our most beautiful vineyard site. It is less than 1/2 mile from Alpine vineyard, but they are different in many ways. The ridge between the vineyards protects Horseshoe from some of the direct ocean influence but allows for similarly cool temperatures. More importantly, Horseshoe lies on a ridge of sedimentary shale called Monterey formation that has made its way to surface over the millenia. This lightweight, brittle rust-mottled shale is prevalent throughout the surface and soil providing for low vigor and outstanding drainage.
The wines produced at Horseshoe are uniquely minerally, precise and focused. They offer an almost palpable tension that greatly rewards aging.
|SKU||Case Size||Bottle Size|