Cabernet Franc 'East Block'
Cabernet Franc 'East Block', Detert Family Vineyards
Detert Family’s Cabernet Franc vineyard is believed to be the first Cabernet Franc vineyard in Napa Valley and still holds the title to Napa’s oldest Cabernet Franc vines!
- 100% Cabernet Franc from the oldest Cabernet Franc vines in Napa Valley
- The clonal material comes from a block of Cabernet Franc planted at Detert in 1949 which was replanted in 1979
- Production: 200 cases
- Harvest Dates: September 24th – October 8th, 2019
- Fermented in small stainless tanks with a combination of pump overs and punch downs
- 14 to 30 day macerations
- Pressed to barrel and aged 18 months in French Oak barrels (70% new)
“The ultimate expression of the Detert Vineyard, the 2019 East Block exudes old-vine character with complexity and sophistication. Spectacularly aromatic, showing a range of thyme, grilled herbs, cassis and baking chocolate. Textured, powerful but also elegant and energetic in the mouth. Lush and palate coating, with complex flavors of black cherry, cured meats, black licorice, gun flint and cassis. Great density but also precise, lively and beautifully layered. Finishes with fine grained-tannins and flavors that keep gliding.” – Tom Garrett, Winemaker