Barley Shochu, ‘Aokage’, Yanagita Distillery
Ingredients: 100% Two-Row Barley
Distillation: Atmospheric Pot Still (Jo-atsu)
Water: Spring water from Kirishima mountains
- 100% locally grown 2-row barley.
- Slow fermentation at low temperatures before distillation.
- Koji is grown directly on barley to release sugars and umami.
- When distilling Yanagita-san adjusts the direction of the heat entering the still to ‘toast’ the liquid inside as it moves, creating distinctive roasty notes.
- After distillation spirit is aged in glass tanks and filtered by hand, straining the tops of tanks with custom made horsehair strainers to remove impurities but retain oils and flavor.
- This is a dense, flavorful and aromatic spirit that drinks surprisingly light. Initial aroma of toasted sesame moves into caramel popcorn, flavor has all sweetness and bitterness of dark chocolate, but finishes dry.
- This marries well with other spirits and can bring a distinct sesame or barley note to cocktails.
|SKU||Case Size||Bottle Size|