Whisky, 'The Y.A. #1'
Whisky, 'The Y.A. #1', Mars Distillery
- Limited-edition blended pure malt Japanese whisky distilled at Mars Shinshu and Mars Tsunuki Distilleries and aged in the Mars Yakushima Aging Cellar
- Distilled in copper pot stills from 100% malted barley, a blend of barley unpeated and peated to 3.5 parts per million
- Non-age statement; aged primarily in ex-bourbon barrels with some ex-sherry casks
- Aromas of vanilla wafers, young pineapple, orange zest, and Bartlett pear skin precede a palate of candied tropical fruit, roasted sweet potato, and vanilla saltwater taffy leading to a long finish of malt and subtle smoke
- 1740 bottles released in the US
- Non-chill filtered; 52% ABV
The Y.A. Series (this marks the first edition) has been created to further explore the influence of the Mars aging cellar in Yakushima. Single malts from both Mars Shinshu, high up in the Alps, and Mars Tsunuki, in southern Kagoshima, are aged and blended on the remote island. 135 kilometers south of Kagoshima, Yakushima is lush with subtropical evergreen forests and vegetation. Heavy precipitation, humidity, and coastal influence all contribute to the island’s fingerprint on the maturation of Mars’ whisky.
Spirit Sub Type:
Blended / Blended Malt