Valtellina Superiore Sassella 'Stella Retica'
- 100% Chiavennasca (Nebbiolo) from the Sasella vineyards of Rocce Rosse, Nuova Regina and Ultimi Raggi
- 50-100-year-old vines
- 400-500 meters elevation
- South/southeast exposure
- 120-day maceration on the skins
- Aged 18 months in 50HL untoasted casks
- Rests 24 months in bottle prior to release
- 3,750 cases produced annually
Press & Reviews
"Woodland berry, camphor, wild rose and wet stone aromas shape the nose. The chiseled palate delivers red cherry, cranberry, Alpine herb and star anise set against taut, ultrafine tannins. Fresh acidity keeps it balanced. Drink 2022–2030."
"The 2015 Valtellina Superiore Sassella Riserva Stella Retica is another pretty, expressive wine in this range. Dried cherry, tobacco, crushed red berries, mint, licorice and worn-in leather all add striking shades of nuance. The 2015 is a bit forward in its aromatic profile, but has terrific depth, and of course the energy that runs through all of these wines."