Syrah 'IRON', Mullineux
- Grown on the Iron soils of the rolling hills surrounding Malmesbury, this organic vineyard is well-established on the clay and gravel-rich Koffieklip soils that are good at holding water
- The soil-bed becomes generous during primary growth in the spring, but then around veraison time the clay in the soils stops releasing moisture and the vine compensates during this quick ripening phase by making the smallest grapes we have.
- Hand harvested
- The grapes were foot-stomped as 100% whole-clusters into open top 500L barrels where hand punch-downs took place to encourage natural and very gentle extraction
- The fermentation cycles completed with indigenous yeast and microbes and after a further four weeks of maceration, the wines were racked and pressed to these original vessels for its maturation period
- Aged for 12 months in French oak 500L barrels, of which 50% was new, followed by another 10 months in 2000L Foudre and eight months of aging in bottle before its release
Press & Reviews