Barrel-Aged Absinthe, Letherbee Distillers
- Barrel-aged absinthe produced by Letherbee Distillers in Chicago, Illinois
- Botanicals include anise seed, fennel, and wormwood; anise seed contributes a softer spice than star anise
- Barrel aged 6 months in new, 53-gallon charred American oak barrels
- Base of neutral grain distillate made from corn
- A nose of spun sugar and black licorice precedes a palate of fennel, cinnamon, mint, and a hint of tobacco
- 63% ABV
Enjoy this absinthe on the rocks or as a cocktailing component; pairs especially well with whiskey.
Spirit Sub Type:
Building its flavor from anise seed and fennel rather than star anise, Letherbee’s absinthe leans soft and round—a character further enhanced by 6 months spent in new, 53-gallon, charred American oak barrels before bottling. A uniquely mellow example of this often-misunderstood spirit category, a nose of spun sugar and black licorice precedes a palate of fennel, cinnamon, mint, and a hint of tobacco. Don’t be deceived, however—a traditional ABV of 63% still packs a punch. Enjoy this absinthe on the rocks or paired in cocktails with whiskey.