- Aquavit produced by Norden Spirits in Chelsea, Michigan
- Botanicals include caraway, dill, clementine, coriander, angelica, orris, juniper, clary sage, sumac, and anise; all botanicals have been locally foraged or sourced except for the clementine, which is sourced from a family-owned co-op in California
- Base distillate is 100% organic Midwest-grown neutral corn spirit
- The base distillate and botanicals are distilled together once in a copper pot still
- Notes of aloe, licorice, soft lemon pith, clover honey, and hemp envelop both aroma and palate, composing an aquavit that is at once bright and earthy, reminiscent of a traditional Danish taffel akvavit and yet entirely unique
- Gold medalist at the 2023 San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- No added coloring or sugar
- Non-chill filtered; 45% ABV
“Taffel Aquavit is a traditional style of Aquavit which is most popular in Denmark and Northern Germany. While not a legally defined style, it is a caraway forward Aquavit that is unaged. It’s commonly bottled at 45%, but there aren’t any restrictions.
“Taffel means “table,” so this style throughout history has been associated with food pairings as it is commonly found at the table during meals such as traditional lunches and festive gatherings, often served alongside a cold beer.
“This is our original recipe, done in the taffel style!”—Robyn Cleveland, Founder Norden Spirits
Norden’s Original Taffel Style Aquavit paints a lush, botanical canvas by embracing both Caraway and Dill in addition to Clementine, Coriander, Angelica, Orris, Juniper, Clary Sage, Sumac, and Anise, for a rounded ten botanicals that create much more than the sum of their parts. These ingredients are distilled once in a copper pot still and bottled at 45% ABV. Though there’s no mistake that this spirit reflects the inherently savory nature of the aquavit category, its bright citrus evokes a gin-like quality that leads to cocktail mixing with tremendous flexibility.