Syrah 'SCHIST - Roundstone'
Syrah 'SCHIST - Roundstone', Mullineux
- A single parcel of sustainably farmed 21 years old vines planted in the stony Shale and Schist soils of The Roundstone Farm on the Kasteelberg
- This parcel of Syrah gives the best expression of the Kasteelberg’s terroir – density and structure
- Grapes were first chilled in our cold room then the whole bunches were put into open- top 500L French oak barrels and foot stomped to release some juice.
- Minimal SO2 was added and, as with all our wines, no further additions were made.
- After about 4 days, fermentation began with indigenous yeasts and lasted about 10 days.
- A further four weeks of skin contact was given after which the wine was drained and pressed to barrel for malolactic fermentation and maturation.
- Aged for 12 months in French oak 500L barrels, 25% new, followed by 9 months in 2nd fill foudre. 9 months of aging in bottle was then given before release
- Bottled unfiltered and unfined
Press & Reviews