Etna Rosso 'Calderara Sottana'
- 98% Nerello mascalese, 2% Nerello cappuccio
- Extension of the vineyard: 15 ha
- Soil type: volcanic ash specked by black pumice and solid volcanic rock
- Northern slope of the Mount Etna, 600-650 meters a.s.l.
- 50 to 100-year-old vines, some pre-phylloxera
- Alcoholic fermentation under controlled temperature (28-30° C)
- Spontaneous malolactic fermentation and aging in French oak barriques, tonneaux for 16-18 months of wood aging and 1 month in steel
- Bottled unfiltered
- Annual production: 11.000 bottles (0,75 l)
Press & Reviews
"Aromas of wild herb, violet, red berry and a hint of hazelnut come to the forefront. Taut and focused, the ethereally elegant palate offers red cherry, blood orange, star anise and a hint of espresso before a saline close. Fine-grained tannins and bright acidity provide graceful support. "
"So floral and fresh with cherries, watermelon, apples, crushed stone and flowers on the nose. It’s medium-to full-bodied with firm tannins and fresh, vivid acidity that takes you down the palate. Drinkable now, but better in 2023."
Wine & Spirits