Chianti Classico Gran Selezione 'San Marcellino', Rocca di Montegrossi
- Certified Organic
- 94% Sangiovese with 6% Pugnitello
- Produced using the finest grapes selected from the 7-ha San Marcellino vineyard that surrounds the Church of San Marcellino in Monti in Chianti
- Up to 50-year-old vines
- 0.9 hectares of Pugnitello, an old indigenous Tuscan grape that perfectly complements Sangiovese, bringing out its color, structure and aromas
- Since 2006 the San Marcellino cuvee has included about 5% Pugnitello
- 16-day fermentation and 23-day maceration
- 24 months in barriques (35%) and tonneaux (65%) of Allier oak (15% of new wood, 20% of 2 years, 25% of 3 years and 60% of 4 years), plus 24 months refining in bottle
- Annual production is about 18,000 bottles.
|SKU||Case Size||Bottle Size|
ResourcesRequest a shelf talker/case card
Press & Reviews
A balanced, refined red with plum, cherry and chocolate character, as well as walnut. It’s medium-bodied with juicy fruit and a savory finish. Complex and pretty.
The 2015 Chianti Classico Vigneto San Marcellino is fabulous. Sweet red cherry, red plum, mint, sweet pipe tobacco, cedar, licorice, blood orange and dried herbs all race out of the glass. The Sangiovese is so expressive. Even so, the 2015 is a wine of reserve. I would cellar it for at least a few years, as it has clearly entered a period of post-bottling closure. Its energy and vibrancy are notable.
A selection made from the San Marcellino vineyard which includes a plot of 50-year-old vines. The soil here is extremely rocky, composed mainly of alberese - a hard marl rich in calcium carbonate which tends to give deeply coloured wines. There is a lot to love in this wine. Enticing red and black currants are demurely nuanced with toast and spice. Ample and mouth filling without being heavy, the palate is abundantly layered with velvety textured tannins. Purity of fruit is preserved throughout and this finishes with mouth-watering salinity.