Chardonnay, ‘Edward James Estate’, Paul Hobbs
Edward James Estate, named for Paul’s great-grandfather, is planted to chardonnay from the heritage selections Bato and Wente.
• Hand harvested at night
• Whole cluster to press, cold
• Barrel fermented, indigenous yeasts, 4 months to completion
• Spontaneous malolactic fermentation concurrent with alcoholic fermentation
• Aged 12 months in French oak barrels, 58% new
• Coopers: François Frères, Cadus, Damy, Louis Latour, and Seguin Moreau
• Aged sur lies with biweekly bâtonnage
• Unfined and unfiltered
Russian River Valley
Deep golden straw in color, this wine has pristine aromas of crisp apple, lemon peel, rain water and apricot tart. The opulent palates is framed by layers of caramel, fig tart, and notes of all-spice, balanced with racy acidity that leads to a long, flinty finish.
Request a shelf talker/case card
Press & Reviews
The sensational 2013 Chardonnay Edward James Estate reveals lots of fleshy lemon blossom, orange marmalade, wet rocks and a subtle hint of oak in addition to an intense, full-bodied, multi-layered style.” - Robert Parker Jr.