Barolo 'Castellero', Giacomo Fenocchio
- From 0.4 hectares of Castellero, nestled between Bussia and Cannubi.
- 280 meters elevation
- Soil of marl, tuff, and a notable composition of sand
- Vines have an average age of 40 years
- 40 days spontaneous fermentation and maceration
- Aged 36 months in large Slavonian oak casks prior to bottling
- 330 cases produced annually. 2011 was the first vintage of this as a single vineyard expression; prior to that it went into the Barolo classico.
|SKU||Case Size||Bottle Size|
ResourcesRequest a shelf talker/case card
Press & Reviews
Rose, wild berry, baking-spice aromas mingle with whiffs of menthol. Linear and structured, the vibrant palate delivers raspberry, orange zest, cinnamon and tobacco set against tightly knit, refined tannins while bright acidity keeps it balanced and energized. Drink 2024–2036.
Aromas of strawberries and spices and hints of wet earth follow through to a medium body with firm, silky tannins and a long, driven finish, Better after 2022.
The 2016 Barolo Castellero captures so much of what makes this site special. Mint, lavender, blood orange, raspberry and chalk notes give he 2016 striking aromatic brightness to play off its translucent, mid-weight feel. A wine of tremendous fascinating complexity, the Castellero will delight readers who enjoy classically-built Barolos. The Castellero is perhaps not quite as deep as the most complete wines in this lineup, but that is really splitting hairs at this level.